We can’t stop the war in Syria alone but we can make a lifesaving difference for refugees who are fleeing the danger. “How to sponsor a Syrian” was the top Canadian search item on Google in early September. While getting directly involved in sponsorship can be a lot of work – if you aren’t able to get directly involved you certainly can support local groups who have already begun the process.
To learn more about who is sponsoring Syrian families in your area, it is a pretty safe bet to contact your local United Church, Unitarian Fellowship, Mosque or Islamic Society to be put in touch with a sponsorship group in your area. That said, if you’re personally up to the challenge, any group of 5 people or more can come together to sponsor a refugee. Learn more on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.
Below you’ll find the contact information for two groups in Kingston who are seeking donations for the families they’ve already settled and for the families they are yet to receive.
Perth Road United and Four Rivers Presbytery Churches in Partnership with the Islamic Society of Kingston:
- RR 3, Seeley’s Bay, K0H 2No
- If you use facebook, you can join this group to receive weekly updates.
Kingston Jewish Support Group for Refugees:
- Cheques to Sydenham St. United Church – 82 Sydenham St.
- Attention: Mr. K. Doersksen
- Memo on Cheque: Kingston Jewish Support Group for Refugees
Anglican Diocesan of Ontario Refugee Support:
- Contact Debra Fieguth at (613) 549 7159 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Interchurch Refugee Partnership
- Sydenham St. Unite, Chalmers United, Princess St. United, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian, St. Mark’s Lutheran,
- Good Shepherd Lutheran (Brockville)