Mother’s Day 2021 Peace Awards
Mother’s Day will soon be here – on Sunday, May 9, 2021. Our friends at Canadian Voice of Women for Peace (VOW) are marking the day on Saturday, May 8 by recognizing outstanding women in Canada working to make the world a better place.
As VOW reminds us, “Mother’s Day is a very special day but it was not always about lavish dinners and flowers; it was a call to action by Julia Ward Howe in 1870 to “Disarm! Disarm!” calling for a Mother’s Peace Day to eradicate war. It was later taken up by Anna Jarvis to have it recognized in the United States nationally in 1914. We at VOW wish to revitalize the idea of a Mother’s Peace Day and are awarding outstanding women in the areas of peace special recognition for their hard work.”
The 2021 Peace Awards are presented by the Canadian Voice of Women for Peace, in the following categories:
1. The Muriel Duckworth Award for Peace Activism
2. The Shirley Farlinger Award for Peace Writings
3. The Anne Goodman Award for the Promotion of a Culture of Peace/Peace Education
4. The Kim Phúc Award for Youth Peace Leadership (age ~18-30)
5. The Ursula Franklin Award of Excellence
Register to join this special virtual event and learn more about the Mother’s Day and the incredible peacemakers who will be honoured this year.